A lot of people were gone for the weekend, so I decided to take a day trip to Consuegra. Believe it or not, I got myself up by 8 AM and took the first bus out at 9:15! Pretty much all that's in this town is a bunch of really old windmills. These windmills are famous because in the book Don Quijote, Don Quijote is kind of crazy and (I think) he thinks they're dragons, so he fights them. Anyways, they were pretty cool. On my way to them, I climbed up the side of this mountain and got onto a dirt road about half the way up. After walking all the way from one end to the other, I turned back and took a guided tour of the castle on the mountaintop which used to be a defensive fortress. I had to skip out early and make my may quickly though the rest of the castle because the bus I planned on taking back to Toledo was to come at 1:15, and the next one wouldn't come through until around 6 (there was not enough to do in this town to fill that time).
So, I stopped by a grocery store and grabbed some quick snacks and tried to make my way back to the bus stop. But, believe it or not, I got myself lost...on the way back down from the windmills, I realized that there were steps down the mountain, so I took those. I didn't realize, however, that they came out much further along than I started when I went up. I stopped and asked some people where the bus stops were and they said they were in the direction I was coming from. By this time, it was almost 1:10, so I started running down the street toward where I thought the bus stops were. A couple minutes later, I asked someone else, and they said I was on the right track. As I ran down a couple more blocks, still with no bus stops in sight, I saw the bus driving up the road behind me. Fortunately, I must have made an impression on the driver on the way into Consuegra when I asked him if the town we were in was in fact Consuegra (it was actually the town before, but he told me to sit back down and he would let me know when we were there), because I saw him smiling through the windshield as he pulled the bus over to let me on!
Here is the link to my public gallery again. From there, you can see the Consuegra pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/bsh11820
I got back to Toledo without any further problems. I finished my antibiotics today and I'm back on track. I also finished a 10 page paper about the Spanish painter, Velázquez, that I turned in today. I've got 2 more papers due on Monday, one in Cine, and one in Literatura. This weekend may be another slow one, but we may make a day trip to Segovia, north of Madrid.
Hope everyone else is feeling better!
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
mom wants to know what the angled pipes are coming out of the back of the windmill?
ReplyDeleteWhat is the purpose of the windmills? are they electric generators?
and i always thought don quiote was mexican?
they're not pipes, theyre logs...not really sure what they're for though.
ReplyDeleteno, matt, these are not electric generators, they have been there for hundreds of years...Don Quijote was written in the early 1600's and they were around then. they're windmills--mills as in machines used in grinding grain. they're not in use anymore.
and don quijote, mexican!?!? he is THE quintessential spaniard...every little spanish kids knows don quijote.
please keep in mind, books hurt matt's brain...
ReplyDelete